Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ONE LONG TRIP

School was out the second week of June and it was time to go to the city.
Husband (#2) had a job and was waiting for us to arrive.
I start loading the car. The back floor was stuffed to seat level, then blankets, sheets and such. A A baby bed mattress was on top of that up til all was level with the back seat.
On top of the car was the a baby bed, ironing board and baby high chair.
The trunk was stuffed full and my mother was shoving canned foods any place she could find. Finally the car was loaded with four children (10 months, 4, 7, 10) and myself.
My oldest son was on vacation with his grandparents and joined us later.
This was way before car seats were required.
The car did not have a/c so I put a window a/c in the front passenger window.
This is a water cooler for a car.
You put water in the bottom and as you drive the air coming thru is cooled.
Instead of water I put a bag of ice which helped a lots.
Four children and I had a very long trip to make (about 9 hours).
When the ice would all melt we would stop and get more.
This was in the same car I had replaced the water pump on.
I had no trouble with it. (ha ha)
Finally we arrived in the big city.
My children had never been to a big city and I was not sure of their safety.
This was really a big adjustment for all of us.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. I am a little late commenting on this post but it's better late than never.

    I never knew that they had such things for cars. Things have really came along way haven't they?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for listening. I would love to hear your ideas too!