Monday, August 6, 2012

SCHOOL DAYS

Here I am again after quite a long time. I have been told I should be putting more adventures of my life in writing, so here goes.  One of the things that might be of interest was when I was in the first and second grade of school. I started to school at Old Glory, Texas . This was a very small town the northwest part of Texas. We lived in the country, across the Brazos river from school.
My sister and I had to ride the school bus which my dad drove. There was not a bridge across the river where we had to cross. The bus had to ford the river each morning and each afternoon. In the morning if the river was up and we could not get across we went the long way around to Aspermont and there down the highway to Old Glory which made everyone on the bus late for school. In the afternoon when we got to the river if it was up and we could not get across in the bus, we swam across. The high school boys would put the little children on their backs and swim across with us. Two of the high school boys lived close to the river so they would go get a tractor and wagon come back load everyone on and take them on home.
Also while we lived at this place my dad taught me how to dance. There were several familes lived in the area and there was not much to do for entertainment (this was long before TV). They would have dances at different families homes. The whole family would go. My dad would let me stand on top of his feet while he danced around the room. That is how I learned to dance. Before I was eight years old I was dancing real well. Still love it but the old knees don't work so well any more. Well you see the "I can do anything gal" started at an early age.

2 comments:

  1. You may not be out dancing Grandma, but you are one the most out and about people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back "Granny M"!!! I have always loved reading your stories. I have to say that I think that having to swim to get home from school beats my Mom's stories of having to walk up hill to get to and from school. After I finally seen some of the hollers they lived in I finally understood what she was saying but they never has to swim. Walk across a swinging bridge or go the long way around but never swim. lol

    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for listening. I would love to hear your ideas too!